Saturday, December 8, 2012

BTW: Bands To Watch ~ Until The End


     Normally, I would be the one to tell you about a band. However, I think that Until The End rhythm guitarist/vocalist Joel Gauthier and vocalist/keyboardist Brian Burkheiser describe their band and their goals the best. Be sure to check out their cover of Justin Bieber's "Beauty and a Beat" below!


Front Paige Metal News: How do you describe Until The End's music? 

Joel: Until the End always aims to provide music that has a message. That being said, lyrics and therefore vocals, are put in the forefront of our music. As for what we sound like, we're an alternative/post-hardcore band who focuses on melody and movement over just aiming to be brutal like a lot of the bands in the scene right now. We try to include the heaviness without sacrificing musical depth.


FPMN: What inspires you as a performer and a musician? When did you first realize that music was a passion for you?

Joel Gauthier: What inspires me is knowing that I can use my music to help all those people who feel like they have nothing else. I was always one of those kids who, when I had problems, would go into my room and just throw on music and drift away. It kept me sane. That's what I want from this band. For people to identify with and understand what we're trying to say. I guess that kinda answers the second part of the question, too. My answer is always. I've always loved music, but I really decided that this is what I want to do with my life around 12 or 13. I had already taken a couple years of piano and guitar lessons, and I've always loved writing. I decided that I wanted to do it for the rest of my life. 


FPMN: What mark do you hope to leave on the music industry?  

Brian Burkheiser: We want to change the way the industry operates. (We want to) flip it on its head entirely, and since we started Until the End, we've been pretty successful at that. We want people to return to the days when "popular music" had a point and when it wasn't just random words being spouted to a beat. The fact that artists have no societal accountability is just unforgivable. That's why we've had so much success. We always try to be real with our fans. We market ourselves as what we are, not as what people want of us.


FPMN: What is coming up for Until The End?

Brian: Well, we just released a cover of Justin Bieber's new song "Beauty and a Beat". So far, the video has gotten about 40,000 views (now over 90,000) and it's only been online for a few days. We're also about to launch a Kickstarter to fund the recording of our upcoming album, Metanoia. We should be releasing that to the public around February. We're also getting ready for a big show on 12/21 called 'The End of the World Party'. We're quite excited about it.


FPMN: Are there any interesting or funny stories that you can tell about you or one of your band mates? Maybe a story from the studio or being on the road?

Brian: Well at one of our more recent shows, we had a fan run onto the stage. None of us knew this guy, but he jumped up there and while running across the stage, unplugged both our lead guitarist and bassist from the system. Jake, our lead guitarist, didn't know what was going on and freaked out because somebody was onstage. It took us about 45 seconds to get the whole band back on the same page and playing, but it was pretty awesome. Especially because of the band's reactions. 


FPMN: What is something that you would like my readers to know about your music?

Joel: Just that we're real. We aren't going to make music for the sake of money. We're not going to write lyrics just so we can market our songs. We're here to be real with people. We're here to connect with people. We're here to be your family. We want to be a voice for the voiceless. We want to be the group that stands out from the crowd and says "Everyone who doesn't belong, you're with us." We refuse to compromise our integrity. 

"Beauty and a Beat"


~Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment