Monday, September 3, 2012

Check It Out! ~ Overworld


     One of the coolest things about technology has got to be sharing music with people that are on the other side of the world and being able to connect with that fan base just as easily as with fans in your hometown. Swedish quintet Overworld knows just how to do that. Their music, which they've dubbed "adrenaline rock n' roll metal" is continually gaining them a dedicated fan base not only in Sweden but around the world. The really amazing thing? They're not even signed yet. Although, if record labels see in them what the rest of their fan base and I see in them, it won't be long! I've had the opportunity to talk with vocalist Endigo and drummer Andie about their EP Perfect Anomaly which they released in May, their love of their fans, and some funny tour stories!


Front Paige Metal News: How do you describe Overworld's music?

Endigo: Catchy, yet fresh. Melodic, yet aggressive. We are simply humans filled with different experiences, and we're sort of channeling this through our music.

Andie: A perfect marriage between everything that's awesome. Oh, and there's also quite a bit of rock, metal, and catchy melodies.


FPMN: What inspires you as a performer and a musician? When did you first realize that music was a passion for you?

Endigo: Anything and everything inspires me. Music has always been my main outlet for whatever I feel I need to express. I can't remember a time not working with music.

Andie: What inspires me the most is the fact that the only time I truly feel alive is on stage. I know I was born to entertain people, and the rush of adrenaline I always get when doing so is my main motivation to push on! I realized my passion for music quite early, but it only really came to fruition when I saw a live DVD of a band called X-Japan back in my teens. The way the drummer acted and went absolutely crazy hit me like an unexpected explosion! Instantly, I was like "that's what I'm gonna do", and I did.


FPMN: Of course, in May, Overworld released the debut EP, Perfect Anomaly. What kind of reaction had it been getting from fans? Is it what you were expecting or hoping for?

Endigo: The response from the release has been nothing short of amazing! We receive many mails every day from people who say they love our music. For me, that's what makes it all worth it.

Andie: The reaction so far has been overwhelming. Occasionally, it even makes me anxious. I'm like, "When are people going to say bad things about it?" (Laughs) I guess that's a good "problem" to have. But seriously, we're extremely proud of our first effort, and we're so happy to see that people enjoy it as much as we do.


FPMN: What is coming up next for Overworld?

Endigo: First off, we're gonna finish touring! Then, of course, there's the music video release which will be a huge thing for us.

Andie: A lot of things. We're always up to stuff. Some of it might not be visible to the general public, but trust us, things are brewing! Of course the biggest thing coming up is the music video for "Until We're Dead", and after that a bunch of shows to promote it and finish off our Perfect Anomaly Tour. We're also intending to release more behind-the-scenes videos such as tour diaries and the works. Stay tuned!


FPMN: Do you have any plans to tour? Possibly some US dates?

Endigo: There's been a huge demand from all over the world. We've started booking some international dates for 2013 already, but we can't really say much more than that right now. If there's demand somewhere, we want to go there!

Andie: We're currently on tour actually, although the tour is limited to Sweden (except the final dates which takes place in Riga, Latvia). No US dates yet, but we're hoping to hit the states as soon as humanly possible. We know that there's a demand for us over there, and we really want to live up to everyone's expectations.


FPMN: Are there any interesting or funny stories that you can tell about you or one of your band members? Maybe a story from the studio or being on the road?

Endigo: There's so much craziness all the time so selecting just one story is really hard! (Laughs) Although, there was this one stupid thing once. Before a show, me and Andie were about to go to the backstage area to prepare for hitting the stage. Now, our dressing rooms were upstairs one floor. Naturally, being the modern people we were, we chose to take the elevator up rather than using the stairs. When we were almost at the top, however, the elevator got stuck. With only minutes to go before entering the stage, we didn't have the time to call for help! So what did we do? We actually climbed up out of the elevator and into the elevator shaft. From there, we made it up onto the next floor. Andie had quite a fall and hurt his back though, poor guy! In the end, though, all went well!

Andie: This is a really hard one. So many to choose from. But a personal funny experience would have to be this. After one of our shows, I was hanging out with a friend of mine, just walking around minding our own business. And she asks me, "Do you often get recognized around town?". And I was like "Nah, not really. Happened maybe once or twice". And just when I said that, I hear someone yelling "Andie", and this girl and her 4 friends come up to me, asking me to take a photo with them and stuff. I remember distinctly that my friend thought I had arranged the whole thing since the timing was so good. (Laughs) Still cracks me up just thinking about it.


FPMN: What is something that you would like my readers to know about your music?

Endigo: Our music will raise your pulse and heat up your blood. Dance until you die!

Andie: They should know that we're a relentless, crazy, and overall awesome force of nature that will rock the hell out of the world or die trying! In other words, check us out. You won't regret it.


For more info, check out Overworld's Facebook and Twitter!

~Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment